To: All Coaches
From: Dr. Roger J. Goudy, AAU President
This memo is to inform you that the AAU has a ZERO TOLERANCE POLICY for fighting.
We ask that you meet with your parents, athletes and fellow coaches and advise them that any act of aggression will be met with severe consequences for team and club. Please know and understand that formal criminal charges will be pursued. In addition, the team will be suspended from any AAU competition both state and national indefinitely at AAU’s discretion.
Please advise the fans that if a fight breaks out, the gym supervisor or referee’s will clear the gym of all spectators if deemed necessary and no refunds will be given.
Also, advise the parents they are prohibited from offensive or hostile language towards the coaches, athlete’s, referee’s or other parents before, during or after the games. Disorderly behavior will not be tolerated.
Coach it is your responsibility to maintain your teams sportsmanship. We suggest you print this memo and distribute it to your parents and athlete’s. This includes state and national competition, fighting will not be tolerated.
MISBEHAVIOR / EJECTIONS
- Any coach ejected for fighting will be ineligible for the remainder of the tournament.
- Athletes ejected for fighting are ineligible to participate in the team’s next game. Additional penalties, up to exclusion from the tournament, may be imposed by the National Eligibility Committee.
- If a coach or athlete is ejected from a game for unsportsmanlike behavior (not fighting), he/she will be ineligible to participate in the next scheduled game. The head coach may appeal the penalty by submitting a written request for appeal to the Tournament Headquarters within two (2) hours of the conclusion of the game. The Tournament Director shall consider the appeal. The ruling is final.
- If a coach or athlete is ejected a second time, he/she will be ineligible for the remainder of the tournament.
- Coaches or athletes who leave the bench area to engage coaches, athletes or officials on the playing floor may be suspended by the National Eligibility Committee for any period up to the duration of the tournament.
- The National Eligibility Committee may impose suspensions or other penalties for misbehavior which occur at any time and at any location during the event.
- Coaches and athletes who engage in misbehavior may be subject to additional disciplinary action from the AAU Boys’ Basketball National Infractions Committee. Penalties may include suspension from future AAU events.